Photographs taken of the King’s Arms Hotel and the views across the river from its rear. The hotel was near the foot of the High Street and was demolished in 1925. This hotel along with the Black Bull Hotel in River Street survived from the 18th century. After demolition F W Woolworth appeared in its place. The original hotel was renewed in 1833 by its owner William Noble after a fire.
In 1820 there were over thirty carriers transporting goods to and from Ayr by horse and cart. A four-horse passenger coach left twice daily from the Kings Arms for Kilmarnock and Glasgow alternating each month with the Black Bull across the river.